Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bed Rest




A 24 year old patient that was 6 weeks pregnant came to the ER for a doctors excuse. What was the excuse for you might ask???

Patient: "I was on bed rest for my entire pregnancy last time. So I need a note for my job saying I can be on bed rest for the next 9 months."

Me: "Uhhhhh.....are you serious?"

Patient: "Of course, can I have the note."

Me: "I have never heard of anyone being on bed rest for their entire pregnancy. Were you high risk? What was the problem?"

Patient: "Are you calling me a liar? Are you going to give me a note or what."

Me: "Well you know if you were on bed rest that it needs to be managed by an OB/GYN, not by a random ER Doc you are never going to see again. And the fact that you can't give me some answers raises some red flags. So no, I am not giving you a note and you need to see an OB/GYN for your pregnancy."

Patient: "So.....can I be off for 9 months?"

Me: "Please leave now."

ER Doc

9 comments:

Krista said...

And I am sure your dog ate your Percocet too...

Nurse K said...

Weird...One of your patients had a job?

Holly said...

"Are you going to give me a note or what."

*mutters to self*

it's everywhere. Stoopid is everywhere.

kate sweeten said...

One of the rheumatologists that I work for is currently fighting it out with a patient who wants 16 MONTHS of maternity leave...in fact, she's not even pregnant yet, but would like to be on maternity leave NOW - before getting pregnant - so that she'd be able to fully concentrate on conceiving without having to worry about work.

Seriously.

donna said...

So she is already 6 weeks preggers;
however, she wants a note to be
on bed rest for another 9 months!
How long is she planning on keeping the kid in? This is wrong on so many levels. Why can't she get the 'note' from her OB-GYN? Perhaps he/she thinks she is a few fries off from a happy meal.

Anonymous said...

HAHA! I did everything I could to AVOID bedrest. My doctor sure was pissed when he found out I was riding my bike at 16 weeks... "too much pelvic pressure". Bah! Stopped riding bike, still had a 32 weeker. Probably not related.

ERP said...

Come on you uncaring bastard.

arzt4empfaenger said...

What a f*ing attitude!? Lady's got nerves. :-/

SeaSpray said...

Wow ...what normal human being would even think a physician would do that?

Well ..my answer is in my question.

Unbelievable tho!