A mother brought in her 8 month old baby today for "breathing difficulty." She stated that for the last 2 months her child had been breathing worse and worse. He had a non productive cough and no fever. They had been to her pediatrician multiple times. Despite treatment with medicines, including breathing treatments, the child was getting worse. When she went to see her doctor today...she realized the baby had lost 4 pounds in the last 2 months...so she decided to come to the ER for a second opinion.
So the diagnosis was easy. Swallowed a coin. Consult for endoscopy....
But if ya think of it....this doesn't really make sense. The kid has been losing weight so I am confident that the coin was probably the culprit. But how does a baby that small swallow a coin? We are taught that a coin that is swallowed but doesn't make it to the stomach is a surgical emergency. But presumably the child swallowed this coin 2 months ago?!?! That means by now the child would have been septic, had a perforated or eroded his esophagus, the list could go on and on.
So....I'm stumped. Don't know if the swallow was recent and a red herring to what was really going on, or if he swallowed it 2 months ago and is some kind of miracle baby. He was admitted to the hospital to have the coin removed and further workup. I'll have to follow up and see what comes out of it.